Sunday, April 11, 2010

Acharya Godwin Samararatne

Here is another example of how the Deva 'helped' with my Dhamma training.

I must admit that I do not understand what Acharya Godwin wrote in his book "Meditation in Everyday Life" when I first read it. I was of the impression that his teaching was difficult to understand and apply.

Then I had my realization after my road trip and was fortunate enough to came across his books again (The Gentle Way of Buddhist Meditation). Now the timing was just right for Acharya Godwin's teaching to sunk into my coconut head.

Suddenly everything makes sense. On how:
1) We create suffering by having expectation. This was what I realized on my road trip.
2) How we create stories; being the prosecutor, judge, victim and defendant all in our head.

and many many more teaching that benefited me a lot.

I am going to quote one paragraph from his book (The Gentle Way of Buddhist Meditation) and I will suggest strongly that readers of this blog find out more about Acharya Godwin's teaching at:
http://www.godwin-home-page.net/

A Wiki page on his life can be found here.

The Gentle Way of Buddhist Meditation

Topic: Emotions

"It is funny that this is how we use thoughts. Now, as we all know, from the time that we wake up in the morning up to the time that we go to sleep there are continuous thoughts going through our mind which never stop. If you become aware, if you become mindful of the thoughts that go through your mind, then you'll realize that most of the time the way we use thoughts is in this habit of giving plusses and minuses. So when you see this clearly, then the power that we have given to them may become less.

Then you realized that sometimes it is just an innocent thought that comes: Maybe the other person doesn't like me; maybe the other person is giving me minuses; maybe the other person think that I'm silly or ridiculous, and so on. So if you are mindful you'll realize it is just a thoughts that you're having; who knows whether that thought corresponds to any reality?

There is a strong imaginary aspect in our thoughts. This imaginary aspect and the realist are two different things. So with awareness, with mindfulness, exploring, investigating, this may become clear to us and this will help us to work with and handle such thoughts, and their power will become less."

No comments:

Post a Comment